La Pasta e La Ragazza

Monday, June 16, 2008

Re-birth and ricotta

Well, it's officially been a REALLY long time since I've posted to this blog, but I've had requests from both my mother and my friend Erin, and the occasional mention from my husband that I have a blog that isn't just pictures, and isn't "business" related. I'm hoping I can bring back the spicy side of things on this blog, as I'm not too concerned about my clients reading it... and if they click enough links to figure out that I'm a sassy, dirty mouthed photographer, well, then they have too much time on their hands.


This re-birth was inspired by the dinner I made tonight, which was in turn inspired by the Everyday Food sitting in the TJ's lunch room. My boss a few months back told/asked me to subscribe the store to some food and wine magazines. I chose Everyday food because it's FULL of easy recipes, which is what TJ's is all about. He got mad when he saw that I subscribed to a Martha Stewart magazine, which I think is totally ridiculous. She's damn good at what she does, with the exception of trading stocks, and I think she learned her lesson. Anyway. Thanks Martha, for your inspiration, and to Andy, for letting me prove that it's a great magazine.


The recipe called for pizza dough, but we didn't have any, and we've really been on this garbanzo/fava flatbread kick, so I improvised.

1st you make the flatbread. 1 1/2 cups of Uncle Bob's Red Mill Fava Garbanzo flour, and wisk in just enough water to make the stuff the consistency of say... a very smooth applesauce. Don't forget plenty of salt, and some pepper. If you're keen on herbs, or have too many in your garden, you can experiment with throwing some of these in too. I prefer rosemary. Bake on a nonstick (very important!) cookie sheet at 425F until the edges just turn brown. Remove and let cool slightly.

At this point, leave the oven on, but turn it down to 375 as you'll be putting the pizza back into the over to warm all of the toppings.




Take one bunch of green onions, and one bunch asparagus, trim off the roots and hard ends respectively. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and grill until nice and tender.





Trim both the onions and asparagus into 3 inch pieces and set aside. Spread ricotta cheese over the cooled flat bread. Arrange the asparagus and onions over the ricotta. Throw some julienned sun dried tomatoes over the top and drizzle with olive oil. Put the pizza back in the oven until all of the toppings are warm. Be careful not to over bake as the crust will easily burn.




Remove from oven and eat immediately.

Find Martha's original recipe here

4 Comments:

At June 17, 2008 at 6:30 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I'd make this if I knew what julienned meant :)

 
At June 17, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Blogger Pam said...

Sounds yummy! And I love your new/old blog (and you).

Mom
XOXOXO

 
At June 17, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Blogger Kate said...

well, if you Re-read the post, now there is a link to dictionary.com so you can learn what julienne means ;)

 
At June 15, 2009 at 7:43 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

Found you over on Kassie's blog - love your food pictures (it's what I strive for when I evenually save up enough $$ for a new camera!)

I like the meal you made, it sounds simple and yummy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home